Call Congress to Protect Zakat and Stop FBI Surveillance
- prosecutions of those who work with or give humanitarian aid to those in conflict areas: under the “material support” provision, the government can prosecute a charity or individual if they provide so much as a glass of water or medical assistance to someone in need in a conflict area.
- the government to obtain information about an individual’s phone calls, emails, finances, travels, the types of books read or websites visited, without evidence of criminal activity.
- Ensuring the government only obtains financial, telephone, internet and credit reports of suspected terrorists of spies
- Requiring the FBI to give notice of a search of one’s home within seven days
- Protecting humanitarian assistance to those in need: We’re asking Congress to expand this exemption to allow other humanitarian aid such as food, water, and medical services.
- Ensuring that the FBI only obtains records and information of suspected terrorists and spies, not law-abiding Americans.
Please call your Member of Congress TODAY to co-sponsor H.R. 3845 and to include these important additional fixes. If you don’t know who your congressional representative is, please click here.
Talking Points – Muslim Advocates suggests you consider the following for your call:
- Hello, I’m calling to ask [YOUR REPRESENTATIVE'S NAME] to co-sponsor Chairman Conyer’s USA PATRIOT Amendments Act, HR 3845. This bill makes very important changes to the PATRIOT Act and helps protect innocent Americans from the governments overly intrusive powers.- As a constituent of [YOUR REPRESENTATIVE], I am aware that he/she holds an influential vote in what an amended PATRIOT Act will look like, and I encourage [YOUR REPRESENTATIVE] to support all the provisions in HR 3845.- Also, I would like to ask that he/she support an amendment to section 215 of the PATRIOT Act that will protect humanitarian aid, so that well-intentioned Americans who donate things like food and water to people in war-torn areas are not prosecuted.- I ask that he/she also support an amendment to the Act to section 215 of the PATRIOT Act. An amendment is needed to ensure that the FBI’s resources are focused on suspected terrorists and spies, not innocent Americans.- Thank you for considering my views. I will be keeping track of how [YOUR REPRESENTATIVE'S NAME] voted on the PATRIOT Act this year.
Short URL: http://tinyurl.com/yajud47