Ensure captive in Pakistan properly treated
The Toronto Star December 24, 1995, Sunday, SUNDAY SECOND EDITION
Copyright 1995 Toronto Star Newspapers, Ltd.
The Toronto Star
December 24, 1995, Sunday, SUNDAY SECOND EDITION
SECTION: LETTER; Pg. E2
LENGTH: 191 words
HEADLINE: Ensure captive in Pakistan properly treated
We applaud The Star for highlighting the plight of Canadian relief worker Ahmed Khadr ( Metro kin ‘frantic’ over Pakistan captive – Man detained after going to police station, Dec. 17, by Harold Levy).
The circumstances surrounding Khadr’s arrest and the present climate of intolerance of foreigners, particularly Arabs, in Pakistan makes it important for the Canadian government to take a more active role in ensuring that Khadr, a Canadian citizen, is treated properly.
We are extremely concerned about the legal and human aspects of Khadr’s detention and urge all Canadians with a commitment to civil rights to call upon our government to pressure Pakistani authorities to:
* Respect fully Khadr’s civil and human rights and to see to his medical needs.
* Accord Khadr due process.
* Grant Canadian authorities and his family access to him.
* Ensure that Khadr is not extradited to Egypt, which has a dismal human rights record.
* Ensure that there are no more unfair and unnecessary hardships placed on Khadr and his family.
Canadian-Muslim Civil Liberties Association
Short URL: http://tinyurl.com/yebuvto